Thursday, August 9, 2012

Larry Tritten...Writer Extrordinaire

Born in Iowa August 7, 1938, Larry Tritten spent most of his childhood in Northern Idaho.
His father, Pete, ran the Pine Creek Tavern in rural Idaho, where Larry, his brother Dale, and his Mom and Dad lived until Larry was about 10.

It was then that the Tritten family moved to Coeur d'Alene, where Pete bought and ran a tavern on Fourth Street.

Larry enlisted in the Army and served on Okinawa for two years. 

He returned home and attended North Idaho Junior College for two years.

He married a Coeur d'Alene girl named Theo Anne, and got a scholarship to study creative writing at San Francisco State University.

He lived in San Francisco for the rest of his life.

He was a prolific writer.

His works include books, short stories, hundreds of magazine and newspaper articles, movie reviews, humor and much more

He wrote scores of travel articles and went on more than 50 travel junkets all over the world.

He was influenced by such writers as Harlan Ellison, Bruce Jay Friedman, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Jack Vance, Richard Matheson and Woody Allen.

After his death in April, 2011, Harlan Ellison wrote the following:
"I was enormously fond of Larry, of his humor, his goodwill and sense of being proudly, as I am, a simple "blue collar" artisan.
I tried to help him out as many times as I could when his times got tough; and now it's over.
At least for my pal.
Larry didn't know, near the end, how ill I've become, nor how close to denouement is my own life.
But, what is, is; and I have no regrets.
It's been a Great Life.
I wish, toward the end, Larry's could have been easier, too." 



 

4 comments:

  1. I have quite a few photos of Larry and would love to contribute to his memory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxie's comment from "Larry Tritten..Gone But Not Forgotten" (Formerly Friends and Fans of Larry Tritten)

    "This morning someone I was very fond of but had lost touch with popped into my mind..as many people who are a part of my life do..as I went to reach out again.
    I learned of his passing on April 6, 2011.
    My heart is full of sadness for having lost touch, and too, because the world lost a wonderful writer.
    I know these last years had been difficult for him and I take solace knowing that he is at peace and once again with his beloved Estela.
    I am honored to have known Larry Tritten, if only for a short time.
    His emails to me were and always will be special.
    Rest in Peace my friend...you are missed.

    ReplyDelete